Monday, March 14, 2011

Thinking Of Japan

Seeing the images still makes it very hard to imagine what these people are going through.  I can't imagine being in an 8.9 earthquake and then getting a half hour warning that a tsunami was coming.  I've been talking to Josh about that and thinking of all the things I would have to grab to take with us, and making sure we get all of our furbabies in the madness before the wave comes.  I can't imagine how devastating it would be, everything you had is gone and you're lucky if you still have your family.  And the explosions of the nuclear plants presents a whole new level of disaster.


One little miracle in the midst of all the destruction is that after 3 days of looking for her after she was swept out of her parents arms, Japanese Defensemen found a 4 month old baby girl in rubble.  They thought they could hear her crying and continued to dig for her.  She was cold, wet and hungry but had no injuries.  She truly is a miracle.  
When I was in high school, we had a foreign exchange student from Japan.  She was so sweet and so much fun!  She always had us laughing.  She taught us a Japanese word I still use to this day, along with my mom and sister.  Hey, Jessie and Vicki, remember ishiopie?  It's been 11 years since I've seen her and have no idea where she is but I hope she and her family are okay in this disaster.    
And since I'm a total animal lover, I always think of all the helpless animals who suffer and die along with the people in these kind of disasters.  So I was happy to hear of Mai, the dog being found alive and well by her owners wandering around the debris of her home.
My prayers are with you Japan.

3 comments:

Vicki said...

KANDICE you always seems to bring tears to my eyes......Yes I remember the word but what did it mean. Wasn't her name Eri i've got a picture of her somewhere. she was so sweet hope she wasn't effected by this tragedy.

Kandice said...

Yes Vicki, I think her name is Eri. I thought it was something like that but kept coming back to Uri, so thank you!! And i'll tell you at Bunco what ishiopie means because I feel weird writing it on here!:) Love you girlie!

Marvett Smith said...

I'm praying with you Kandice!